Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Ni Hao Ma, Kid?

Today is the first day of school for my boy, Enzo.  He is 13 years old and is now in Upper School. It wasn't so long ago when he was so little and couldn't let go of my hand. But now, he's much taller than I am plus I'd have to pay if I wanted him to hold my hand.  How fast time flies! I suppose it is good for him to become independent of me little by little rather than the other way around.  That is indeed a more worrisome state, right?  For him to become a Mama's boy?  I reckon it is every parent's fear and desire, in the same breath, that one day their child will no longer need them as they can stand on their own two feet.  But I'll worry about that later.  At least for now, I still get to make him lunch.
 
It is raining here in Manila as it usually does during the first day of school.  It becomes awfully cold in his classroom since there's just 20 of them at any given time so I decided that for the first day of school, we are going to China to eat something spicy--to warm him up and remind him a bit of the wonderful summer we all had.

Today's lunch box contains: Szechuan Chili Shrimps, Kung Pao Chicken (from last night's dinner) with Glass Noodles topped with more nuts, crispy shallots and steamed rice.


Szechuan Chili Shrimps
250 grams Large Shrimp, peeled and deveined
1    tablespoon Hoisin Sauce
1    tablespoon Light Soy Sauce
1    tablespoon Chili Sauce (more if you like it spicy)
1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
2    slivers of ginger
1    clove of garlic
      drops of Sesame oil

In a wok, swirl some peanut oil until you see a whiff of white smoke rise.  Add in ginger and garlic and toss around for a bit.  Put in shrimps, the sauces and sugar and stir-fry until the shrimps are pink and curled.  Sprinkle with a couple of drops of sesame oil.

Kung Pao Chicken with Glass Noodles and Crispy Shallots
Kung Pao Chicken Leftovers
Glass Noodles (depends on how much leftovers you have)
Crispy Shallots (homemade or store-bought)
Additional chopped peanuts for sprinkling

Soak glass noodles in water to soften. Heat leftover Kung Pao Chicken in oil and toss in softened glass noodles.  Add a little bit of stock or water if leftovers seem too dry.  Stir around until noodles are cooked.  Top with crispy shallots and peanuts. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment