Monday, June 13, 2011

Is Van Valami Goulash?

"May I have some Goulash?" this is what the title of this entry means.  Which means (well not necessarily, since Goulash is also made in Austria, the Friuli region of Italy and Strasbourg, France) we are going to Hungary.  But since the title of the entry is in Hungarian...

Goulash is I think a close relative of Calderetta and is one of the easiest things you can make. I made this yesterday because as in all stews, it tastes better the next day.  The key ingredient of Goulash is of course Hungarian Paprika.  However, I have searched high and low for good Hungarian Paprika in Manila and have found none.  They all taste like paper.  So instead, in this recipe--well actually when any recipe calls for paprika, I use Spain's Pimenton dela Vera.  For me, nothing comes remotely close to it(see picture).  It may be a bit more pricey than your regular paprika from the grocery but really, it spells a whole world of difference.  It's got all the smokey goodness in it and comes in 2 varieties--sweet and spicy.  A little goes a long, long way so it's truly worth the purchase.  Try it for yourself and be smitten forever.  I buy mine at Terry Selection which is now also available at the shelves of Landmark grocery.  :-)


Today's lunchbox:  Hungarian Goulash (made with Spanish paprika) with Dumplings, Potato Pancakes with some sour cream and slivered leeks), Steamed Rice.  :-)


Hungarian Goulash
1 Kilo of Stewing Beef
1 large onion
1 large tomato
2 tablespoons good Paprika
10 cups beef stock
1 large pinch of caraway seeds
1 large green pepper
salt and pepper to taste


Sear your seasoned meat.  Sweat onions, add tomatoes, paprika and beef stock.  Add in caraway seeds.  Cook until until tender.  Add green pepper.  Adjust taste with salt and pepper. :-)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nicole.

    This is great. Keep on blogging. I enjoy your international cuisine in a lunchbox. I will suggest this to my wife for a much exciting "baon" in the office as well as to my kids. Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Kulturang Pilipino! Thank you for reading and I hope to keep it interesting enough for you so you'll want to keep reading. :-)

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete