Tuesday, June 14, 2011

На здоровье!

"Na zdarOv’ye!" means "Enjoy!" in Russia.  It's standard for my boy and I to say goodbye this way:  "Have a good day at school, enjoy your lunch.  See you later.  Love you."  He usually mumbles he loves me too but only when I repeat once or twice (with enlarged eyes), telling him that I love him.   Then he rolls his eyes.

It's the second week of school now and we're getting into the swing of things, the schedule and the study hours which compared to his old, slave driver of a school, isn't so bad really.  Except when we're trying to do Math.  I'm not the go to person for this, I should tell you.  Sometimes I try to teach him and then he comes home with brows in knots, "Mom.  You were wrong."  To which I properly reply..."Look at what I made, son."

I'm getting us a Math tutor.  Anyone?

Today's lunch: Russian Rolled Fish Fillets stuffed with Mushrooms, Leek and Parmesan Potato Pancake with Sour Cream  :-) 

Russian Rolled Fish Fillets*
Sole fillets (or Cream Dory)
Olive Oil
Lemon Juice
Butter
Mushrooms sauteed in Butter and some anchovies
2 eggs
Breadcrumbs
Marinate fish fillets in lemon, olive oil and salt and pepper for an hour, if you have the time.  If not, just season and squeeze the lemon on it and proceed.  (Just pack some slices of lemon along)  Put the mushrooms on the fillet, roll it as you would a jelly roll, secure with toothpicks.  Dip in beaten eggs and bread crumbs then deep fry.  Drain on paper towels and slice across as in the picture. Na zdarOv’ye!:-)

*Recipe from the Illustrated Food and Cooking of Poland, Russia and Eastern Europe







No comments:

Post a Comment