Monday, August 1, 2011

Curries of The World-Day 1

I don't know about your kids, but my son loves Curry.  Absolutely loves them no matter which country it came from, or what color it is, or the degree of spice--he adores them all.  It was actually his idea that we do curries for the whole week which was really a nice idea though we could actually go on for 3 weeks without repeating a country and the whole year if we did the curries of India alone.  But of course we won't do that.  We will however begin the week with an Indian curry and rightfully so because it is widely accepted that India is the birthplace of Curry (from the Tamil word Kari which meant a spiced sauce).

I am serving today's curry with a Mango Chutney I made yesterday, part of a product line I'm developing called Artiste (shameless plug, I know).  The chutney was spiced with turmeric, cardamom, chilis and pink peppercorns.  I'm quite happy that they turned out quite well--sunshine in a bottle as I described them in Facebook, perfect for the Pappadums I put in the lunchbox.

His main course is a tomato based Kerala Shrimp curry which was inspired by the recipe found in this beautiful, and yummy blog-- Plateful, written by a wonderful, generous person by the name of Nashira.  You should check it out!  It wasn't so long ago when I thought all curries had coconut cream in it for it to be really good and authentic.  Boy, was I wrong. The permutations are so vast and varied ranging from spicy to curse the heavens spicey, colored form the brightest yellow to the deepest red.  It could be tomato or coconut based. There's even one that has cashew as its main curry ingredient!  Can't wait try that one out.  But for today, we're having this. :-)

Today's Lunch: Chemmeen Mulakittathu (Shrimp Curry--Tomato Based), Punjabi Masala Pappadums (bought from Taj in Makati) with Homemade Mango Chutney spiced with Turmeric, Cardamom, Chilis and Pink Peppercorns.

Namaste!

No comments:

Post a Comment