Saturday, August 6, 2011

Special Saturday Post

Due to the number of cancelled school days brought about by the horrendous rains we've been experiencing, the Boy is going to school today--something which he really, really loathes.  I had to remind him of his previous unabated glee during the actual days he stayed home instead of school which made him stop grumbling.  I promised I would instead add a little treat for him and his classmates on Saturday make-up classes (there's one again next week).  It apparently worked as he is now preparing to leave the house without much stomping (which of course he knows will earn him some good grounding).

Today's lunch is similar to Boeuf Bourguignonne except that instead of using a good Burgundy, I used our world-renowned dark ale, Cerveza Negra which actually and truly deserves an entire post on its own. I used a cut of beef I prefer for its marbling, I think--the beef crest or batoc in our native tongue looks like local Wagyu. It is chunky and does well in slow-cooked, deeply-flavored stews and the likes. Everything else--the mushroom duxelle and baby onion garniture I also added.  And to make this Saturday class a little more bearable for the kid, we have dessert.  Dessert is this Sticky Toffee Pudding I managed to squeeze baking into my crazy schedule yesterday.  Hope that does the trick for the Kid.  I mean, come on.  Who likes to work on a weekend, right?  :-)

Today's Lunch Box contains: Ale-Braised Beef with a Bourguignonne Garniture, Creamy Mashed Potatoes, Small box of Homemade Sticky Toffee Pudding to share with his classmates.

Happy weekend!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment