Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Marley and Me

Though I loved the movie Marley and Me and appropriately cried what seemed to be two buckets of tears, this post is about another Marley--the one that moved an entire nation through his music and message of love, Bob Marley.  Yes, I'm one of those people who love the slow, steady, relaxing vibe of reggae.  In fact, the anthem in my car when I'm driving to an event is Marley's Three Little Birds...

Rise up this mornin',
Smiled with the risin' sun,
Three little birds
Pitch by my doorstep
Singin' sweet songs
Of melodies pure and true,
Sayin', ("This is my message to you-ou-ou:")

Singin': "Don't worry 'bout a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be all right."
Singin': "Don't worry (don't worry) 'bout a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be all right!"
  
This totally calms my nerves which helps me focus on the upcoming event.  Works like magic every single time.  

However, I'm far from being a complete Rastafarian Mama.  As in my palate, I appreciate a wide variety of music from Bach to the Beatles to Coltrane to Queen to Bono to Jobim to Taylor to King to Tyler to Marley to Red Hot Chili Peppers to Thievery Corporation to Adele to Dixie Chicks--I love them all.  I play all these on Sunday mornings when the kids and I are finally taking it slow and recharging for the week ahead.  The little one particularly likes Queen's Under Pressure and I Want to Break Free while the Boy likes RHCP's Give It Away Now and Aerosmith's Walk This Way. :-)

I like to expose the kids to many kinds of experiences whether it be about music or food or people.  I constantly ask them, "how do you know you don't like something when you've never even tried it?"  Admittedly, the little one is a little bit difficult to convince with other tastes as of now.  But I know that later on, she will be open to the magical and diverse world of flavors and textures too.  I'm trying to teach them the beauty of keeping an open mind about things because it is truly what will help them learn and discover stuff that will make their lives richer and more complete.  I want them to learn that while they may not like everything they hear, see or taste, the knowledge that such thing exists will help them develop respect, acceptance and tolerance.  Something which the world, in my humble opinion, truly lacks. How boring it would be if we all shared exactly the same thoughts and ideas.  I think it is the fact that we are different that makes life more interesting because that very difference helps expand our minds into the many possibilities and perspectives of looking at things.  A picture is beautiful in many, many ways.  And I think such is the lesson and legacy that Marley left behind taught wonderfully and succinctly through the melody and memory of his legendary music.

Well, whaddaya know?  I think I may be a Rastafarian Mama after all.  :-)

Today's lunch:  Jamaican Jerk Chicken and Buttered Green Rice

No comments:

Post a Comment