Thursday, September 29, 2011

One Cut, Err- 3 Dishes

Hello there.  As promised, here are the two other dishes I served for the boy's lunch box.  I originally planned to make four, but classes were suspended Tuesday because of the typhoon so here are the other two.

Babirang, Rice Spice (Korean)
Lunchbox #2 contained Beef Teppanyaki with Enoki Mushrooms which was really just a stir-fry with some onions, the mushrooms and a bit of butter.  The fried rice was seasoned with a sweetish onion sauce a la Pepper Lunch which I made by sweating finely minced onion until they were translucent.  I steeped them overnight with equal parts mirin and Japanese Soy, around 1 tablespoon each.  In the morning I used that sauce to season the fried rice and to that I added some sweet corn and spring onions.  I shaped it in a flat bottomed container, topped it with some more corn and Babirang, a Korean rice spice mix.  Also packed some fudge brownies I baked during the height of the typhoon the previous day.

Lunchbox #3 was transformed into Beef with Brocolli, another stir-fry.  I cooked the brocolli separately and just seasoned it in salt.  When it was done, I put it aside and sauteed in the same pan the remaining beef with 2 slices of ginger and a yellow onion.  And that's it!  If you want this dish to taste more Chinese, you can add some oyster sauce and finish it off with a few dribbles of Sesame Oil.  The rice in this lunch ox was again sprinkled with that yummy Babirang.  :-)

So, there you go.  One cut, 3 dishes.  There's a lot more you can do with this very versatile cut of meat.  You can try most anything to toss it with to make exciting stir-fries.  Just pay attention to the combination of taste, texture, color and you're well on your way to making a better lunch box for your dear kids.

Hope that helped!

No comments:

Post a Comment