Thursday, September 15, 2011

From Vietnam, With Love--Day 3

I was fretting leaving the 2 little people here alone with our yaya (nanny) for a couple of days fearing that the younger one (5 years of age) will be crying herself to sleep without me by her side.  My fear regarding the boy on the other hand was mostly anxiety over the idea of him not getting up in time to have some breakfast before he leaves for school.   I got more anxious on my way out because the girl bawled her eyes out such that the nanny had to bring her out to play.  Enzo on the other hand was fooling around the car as the driver pulled out of the driveway.  He was making funny faces and googly eyes like he was just three years old and then right before we were to drive away, his face became both serious and sad.  I pulled down the window and said: "I told you, you will miss me."  And then he stuck his tongue out, ran away and proceeded acting crazy.

 Both fears of course were unfounded as they did just fine without me.  There were no crying bouts and the boy left for school in time every time.  If anything, they behaved better without me fussing about.  I left little notes, cards and gifts for my daughter to open, read and play with every morning she woke up and each night before she went to sleep.  I also planned the boy's lunch boxes that were prepared by Yaya the days I obviously couldn't. They couldn't take pictures of the lunches though since I brought along the camera with me.  All in all, it was quite uneventful here at home while I was gone. 

A part of me was happy that they can actually survive without me--after a day, they wouldn't even reply to the text messages I sent them and relegated the task to their nanny.  They were busy with their little things, playing with friends, doing homework, going on the computer such that they didn't mind or notice that their Mother wasn't around.  I think I got a little sneak preview on how it will be like somewhere down the road and I think it's not so bad.  Of course I'll miss their little fingers and their belly laugh and the way they look at me like I was some kind of a hero.  But I think I'll get by when the time comes that they get to live their lives because then I'll also get to live mine.

But of course I am getting a way ahead of myself (again) because when I got home, I was still glad to see a great, big banner in my baby girl's writing:  Welcome home Mama.  She hugged me and told me how much she missed me.  The boy?  He hugged me and carried me and the first thing he said to me was, "So what did you eat?"  To which I replied, "I'll make them all for your lunch box next week."   

Today's Lunch Box: Ga Xao Xa Ot (Spicy Lemongrass Chicken), Nem Nuong (Grilled Pork Patties, Steamed Rice


As nice as it is out there, it sure is still nicer to be back home. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment