Thursday, January 12, 2012

Back on The Saddle

I have fallen off the saddle of lunch box making and am carefully lodging myself back on it.  This is not to say that the we have been remiss in packing the boy's lunch for the past month or so. Yaya (our nanny) has been doing it the whole time I couldn't and there were some stellar moments there too.  Like the crispy tofu with black bean sauce and crispy fresh bacon  she once made that the boy raved about when I returned from the trip.  It's just too bad they weren't able to take photos of their lunch boxes while I was away.  I would have written an entire post about it.

So I finally got my groove back and made another Japanese bento with 3 things in it: Pork belly Teriyaki with black and white sesame seeds, Kakiage (vegetable fritter of carrots, leeks and shrimps) and Tamagoyaki (Japanese sweet omelet).  Kakiage by the way, is an excellent way to sneak in vegetables in your child's diet.  You can put zucchini, sweet potatoes, eggplant, sprouts in it.  And because it has a texture like Tempura, kids are bound to love it. I've been planning the lunch box since yesterday because I wanted to start weaning everyone in the house from all the heavy food we ate during the Christmas season.  So I'm thinking of going Vietnamese and/or Thai next week.

However, my brother is going back to Canada on the 19th and I promised to make his favorite Kare-Kare (Oxtail Stew with a peanut based sauce) for this weekend so we might just have to go out there one more time.  And then we go cleanse.  Hopefully.

Today's lunchbox:  Pork Belly Teriyaki with Black and White Sesame Seeds, Kakiage (Vegetable fritter of Carrots, Leeks and Shrimps) and Tamagoyaki.

See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment