Tuesday, November 8, 2011

A Spanish Excursion

Today we decided to extend our little sunny vacation by visiting an equally sunny and beautiful place we vow to see one day: Spain.  In my mind it is a country filled with places as beautiful, as colorful, as magical and as memorable as Seńor Gabriel Garcia Marquez's Macondo.  That book, One Hundred Years of Solitude, is a book to be read in silence because the names alone as the generations of characters went on and on repeated so much that that I would find myself repeating pages just to remember which character was doing what.  But Marquez is indeed one of the greatest storytellers I've ever read much like J.R.R. Tolkien or J.K. Rowling in that I am able to travel through all of time and space to experience great emotions I would have never have known living a pretty regular life.  I mean I would have loved to have an axe-yielding dwarf best friend named Gimli but that's not going to happen anytime soon. I think this travel in time is what motivates me most in reading.  And in making these lunchboxes.  I am able to take my boy to places we haven't seen and make him look forward to one day being there, sitting on a table, having a laugh and eating some soul-cradling food.

So we travel through this lunchbox as often as we possibly can, going to places familiar and strange.  Sailing seas both calm and stormy much like our journeys as mother and son.  There are good days and there are better days.  Today was a good day.  Spain did us good and I think today's dishes captured the most memorable facets of this country in manner of flavor and hue as can very well see. But.  I could also be wrong--we haven't actually been there.  Yet. :-)

Today's lunchbox:  Gambas al Ajillo (Garlic Shrimps), Left-over Arroz Negro (Rice with Squid and Squid Ink) from yesterday's lunch

No comments:

Post a Comment