Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Back To The Islands

I am expecting visitors (one of my favorite couples) for breakfast today and they will be arriving in an hour or so.  In short, today's lunchbox is also today's breakfast fare:  my new and more Filipino Honey-Garlic Ribeye Tapa (not too sweet) and the lowly Galunggong (round scad) filleted and marinated in a vulgar amount of garlic and olive oil ala Sentro.

For my guests though, I am also setting up an Eggs Benedict station where they can put on spinach, cheese, etc. on top of their poached egg before spooning on some Hollandaise which I prepared in advance as I am using the stabilized version (aka cheater's Hollandaise).  In case you don't know how to that, I shall be posting the recipe here.

I have to go now. Bon jour, good morning and most of all Magandang Umaga! :-)

Today's lunchbox:  My Honey-Garlic Ribeye Tapa, Garlic Galunggong

Cheater's Hollandaise (adapted from Secrets of Great French Restaurants by Louissete Bertholle)

3 Tablespoons Milk
1 Teaspoon Cornstarch
3 Egg yolks
150 grams unsalted butter (a little bit over half a stick of butter)
lemon juice from half a lemon (more if you like)
salt and pepper to taste

  1. Put together milk, cornstarch, egg yolks, 25 grams of the butter, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
  2. Stir continuously on top of a double boiler.  When incorporated, add the remainder of the butter bit by bit (cut it into cubes before hand).
  3. Et voila--Hollandaise that won't separate and can be reheated gently before your guests arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment